Ever thought about hosting your event at a museum? Many people don’t realize that quite a few museums offer event spaces for rent, and they can make for excellent venues, from the wealth of conversation pieces you’ll find to the interesting and sometimes downright quirky atmosphere.
From the stately to the wacky affair, there’s likely to be a museum that can cater to you. In honor of International Museum Day (which is today!), here are our top picks for cool and quirky museums across the country that would be awesome as an event venue (and they all rent out space, we checked).
- The Mmuseumm (New York, NY) – This tiny exhibition space, just 60 square feet, holds some of the most fascinating items you could expect to find anywhere, including the shoe that was thrown at George W. Bush and bulletproof backpacks for children created by Disney.
- Andy Warhol Museum (Pittsburgh, PA) – This dynamic museum is devoted to the life and art of Andy Warhol, and holds many of his most iconic pieces. The museum holds more than 12,000 of Warhol’s works, including paintings, sculpture and photography.
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum (Cleveland, OH) – Appropriately located in the city where the phrase “rock and roll” was coined, this museum has seven floors of stimulating spaces dedicated to the celebration of rock and roll history, including four film theaters, many constantly changing exhibits, and plenty of iconic bits and bobs from rock music history to gawk at.
- The World of Coke (Atlanta, GA) – In the state where Coca-Cola was born, the massive World of Coke Museum offers tours, an art gallery, high-tech exhibits and a unique tasting experience all revolving around Coke’s array of world renowned drink products.
- National Museum of Funeral History (Houston, TX) – This is the USA’s largest collection of funeral artifacts, a fascinating exploration of funeral history and mourning rituals as well as little-seen views into the funeral industry.
- Mutter Museum (Philadelphia, PA) – Dubbed “America’s finest museum of medical history” and over 100 years old, the Mutter holds everything from anatomical specimens to wax models to a nine-foot-long human colon that held 40 pounds of fecal matter when it was removed from a patient. Not for the faint of heart (or stomach).
- Tech Museum of Innovation (San Jose, CA) – With a mission of inspiring “the innovator in everyone,” this is a great space for doing just that, with a host of exhibits, IMAX films and workshops dedicated to the history and the cutting edge of tech, based in a hub of Silicon Valley.
- World Erotic Art Museum (Miami, FL) – Dedicated to explorations of the history and scope of erotic art, this is the only museum of its kind in the US. The museum holds special collections including works by Rembrandt and Picasso, as well as more contemporary works of erotic art.
- Museum of Miniatures (Tucson, AZ) – Calling itself the “Mini Time Machine,” this museum is bound to make your event guests feel larger than life, as they’ll be completely surrounded by miniature worlds, of both realistic and fantastical design.
- Morbid Anatomy Museum (Brooklyn, NY) – Another museum sure to bring on some very strange—but interesting—conversations, the Morbid Anatomy Museum explores “the intersections of death, beauty and that which falls between the cracks,” exploring everything from the art of mourning to the occult.
Have a museum you think should be on the list? Leave it in comments below or tweet to us! And don’t forget to use the SquadUP App to organize your next event!